Thanks to the engagement of our forward thinking shoots, guns and game farms, over the past 12 months the BGA has:
- Rolled out the first audited Game Farm Standards, with the first audits planned this month to bring a genuine egg to plate assurance to our sector
- Secured a seat on the most senior Civil Service food and farming roundtables, including the Brexit Breeders Group and the COVID Emergency Response Forum, neither of which had any previous representation for the game sector. These links have been crucial in navigating post EU-Exit game exports.
- Built a new relationship with Defra, establishing a link with a team in the Agri-Food Chain Directorate which proved vital during our joint effort to safeguard game shooting during the negotiations over the ‘Rule of 6’ last year.
- Responded to aggressive campaigning for statutory shooting regulation by launching Associate Standard, allowing shoots of all sizes and models to access assurance and play a role in securing the future of our sector. Uptake of BGA Assurance played a key role in the defence our shooting organisations mounted against attempts to introduce shoot licensing.
- Seen the first half a million head of game bearing the logo of BGA Assurance appearing on the shelves of a major supermarket. BGA Assurance gave Sainsbury’s the confidence to stock two game lines supplied by Holme Farm Venison. Over the past 12 months Assured Game has been introduced into the Co-Op (from May 21), Wholefoods and Harrods, alongside established lines in M&S, Waitrose and Booths. These lines have sold so well we believe we can further boost the uptake of game across the supermarkets this season, thanks to the peace of mind provided by BGA Assurance.
- Pivoted to promote game throughout an unprecedented lockdown that shut down export and hospitality, our sector’s two biggest markets. We encouraged people to bring game into their kitchens, collaborating on a range of ‘dinner in a box’ concepts, including grouse, BBQ and Asian-cuisine. The results of our efforts have been noted by both supermarkets and major online retailers.
- Created a register of game vets so our registered shoots can be sure they are working with vets with real experience in game bird health and join the fight to reduce antibiotic use and improve releasing practices across our sector.
- Established valued professional relationships with BGA-registered dealers and processors, working in partnership with them and passing on sales leads for them to convert, including new online markets with Big Barn.